Recently I was running my Cucumber features in parallel and it was really slow (same speed as running normally the tests).
atop command I've identified that the
DSK (Disk) line was red all the time with poor performances.
Reading around about Linux and SSD drives lead me to update the
/etc/fstab file in order to add flags to the mount command for my SSD drive as the following:
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass> # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation UUID=befd193c-ff6a-4f62-a0a2-de044fe6abe8 / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro 0 1 /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/sdb2 /media/usb1 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
Also I have added the following lines:
# Have the /tmp folder in memory tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,size=100m 0 0 # Save logs in memory ram /var/log tmpfs defaults,nosuid,nodev 0 0
After a reboot the disk spead has been increased a lot ! Now the tests are really running fast.